Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
The only way it'll be "in the next ten years" rather than "in the next
two years" is if Gentoo continues its current approach of making
changes require every single person to agree...

Frankly, I won't be at all surprised if this thread (in some form) is still going on in the next two years, and nothing at all has been implemented.

As far as Gentoo requiring EVERY single person to agree - that is hardly the case. But there does need to be a general consensus or some impetus for moving forward without one. I don't really see either.

If consensus isn't necessary then I'll solve the whole debate for you now - EAPI goes on line 5 of the ebuild in the syntax EAPI=foo, and filenames remain as they are now. There we are - done. Now, lets go ahead and start implementing it so that in 6-12 months we can roll out new version numbering schemes. Surely you're not suggesting that we shouldn't move forward with this merely because some people (like you) don't agree?

Since the inevitable reply is going to be that it isn't about consensus, but rather it is about merit - as the official arbiter of all things meritorious I hereby declare that my idea is the best one out there.

Now, back in the real world where neither of us is the dictator of Gentoo, I'm quite happy to wait for the Council to rule on this, or to choose to not rule on this. Their reluctance to do so to date just reflects how divided the developer community is over the issue.