Mounir Lamouri wrote:
Hi,

According to devmanunal [1], DESCRIPTION should be 80 characters max but
according to repoman, DESCRIPTION should be 100 characters max.
I'm confused, who should I believe ? :)

[1] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/variables/index.html

Though I'm not a Gentoo dev, I'd say common sense dictates that the 80 characters limit is just a recommendation based on the 80x25 characters the default VGA text-mode supports. In other words, "one line of text." In any event, I don't think any short description of any package would need more than that. But also don't think you would break any "rules" by using more than 80, unless it becomes clearly too long.