On Thu, 14 May 2009 03:32:12 +0300
Mart Raudsepp <l...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Project maintainer-wanted
> =========================
>
> Abstract:
> There are currently quite some package requests (over 3000) languishing
> on bugzilla waiting for a developer or team to get interested and
> package it in the official gentoo-x86 portage tree. However in quite
> some cases that might not happen for quite a while even with very
> popular packages desired by users. The purpose of the maintainer-wanted
> project is to get as many of such packages to the official tree as
> possible as a stopgap solution.

Actually, I'm working on a "get the crap out of the tree" project that is
pretty much the exact opposite of this. ;)

But, things I like:

- metrics for package popularity (can we do gentoo-stats already?)
- encouraging teams and maintainers to take an interest in unmaintained
  packages
- keeping track of maintainer-wanted/needed packages through categorization,
  etc.
- proxy-maintainers

These things I think would benefit both projects, as well as several others.

I would actually rather see our overall package count dropping than growing,
but if we're adding quality, maintained stuff and tossing out the garbage then
I guess that's an improvement too.

--
gcc-porting,                                      by design, by neglect
treecleaner,                              for a fact or just for effect