On Sunday 17 May 2009 15:55:55 William Hubbs wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 02:57:47PM -0400, Mark Loeser wrote:
> > According to FHS we are doing it right:
> > http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARLIBVARIABLESTATEINFORMATI
> >ON
> >
> > I guess what I would really like to know is...why does it matter?  If
> > something is configurable like that, then it should work regardless of
> > what is put in.
>
> I guess it doesn't matter to me really; I was just looking for why we do
> it the way we do since one of the brltty devs "strongly recommended"
> that we change our build environment.

the GNU guys prefer /var which is why that is also the default.  we pick
/var/lib because that's how FHS works and it results in a clean /var base
tree.  not many packages out there will manually split things up.  if your
package is special and does, then using /var in your ebuild is OK, but most
dont.  i.e. what we're doing is correct and their strong recommendation is
wrong for the default.
-mike