On Sat, 23 May 2009 18:14:57 -0500
Andrew Gaffney <agaff...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 05/23/2009 05:56 PM, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
> > William Hubbs wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> My question for the group is, how do you feel about speech software
> >> being on our minimal cd as well as our live cd?
> > I agree, it should be in our minimal and live CD's. There is no reason
> > to consider blind persons out of the minimal CD.
>
> The real issue here is the size. If these additional packages plus all of the
> alsa modules add 20MB to the minimal CD, it's just not worth it. It's not
> "minimal" anymore.
>
> --
> Andrew Gaffney
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
> Gentoo Linux Developer            Catalyst/Genkernel + Release Engineering
> Lead

If the 20MB is a real problem, I think the alternative is to have two
versions of the "minimal CD".  Otherwise it seems to me that Gentoo is
discriminating against people who cannot see the screen, and I would
consider that to be very tacky at best.

Someone (rdalek1967) said the problem was an extra 2.5 hours time for
download over dialup.  If that is correct, we are looking at 12.5 hours
instead of 10 hours (about 25% increase, but 10 hours is a long time,
and I don't know that 12.5 hours is subjectively that much longer).

So, to answer William's original question, one way or another we should
provide a minimal CD with the speech software on it in my opinion.

Regards,
Ferris

--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmc...@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)