Robert Buchholz wrote:
> On Saturday 23 May 2009, Roy Marples wrote:
>> Basically as Doug said, each OpenRC version comes with a few big
>> chances. Well not massive as in "your box will break now", but just a
>> different spin on how things should work. OpenRC-0.5 will have the
>> biggest re-spin to date - net.lo (net.eth0 etc) is considered
>> deprecated.
>
> If future changes of this magnitude are still expected, I wonder if we
> want to go stable with OpenRC anytime soon. I do not intend to hinder
> fast progress and design changes in OpenRC in any way, but if its
> design is not considered final, I suggest we do not make it the default
> recommandation for our users.

Let us be clear on one point - net.lo and friends are still somewhat
supported upstream, just no future development will take place on them.

The network script is just the preferred default as it makes my life a
lot easier and places the support burden onto the maintainers of the
various utils needed to be used directly. It's also a lot faster :)

I don't expect any more userland changes before the move to OpenRC-1.0
There are two features on the cards - rc events [1] and feature removal
for space limited embedded systems (basically dependecy is only used to
order scripts on initial startup, reducing /sbin/rc and /sbin/runscript
to shell stubs the aim on saving 75k on the binary size.

> Marking it stable might also be contraproductive for upstream since
> revised configurations need to stay supported a lot longer than they
> would had they been used only by ~arch users.

If there is a real drive to make OpenRC stable then I suggest that I
roll openrc-0.5.0 out sometime this week and try to roll rc events into
0.6.0, the embedded stubs into 0.7.0 and we'll go from there.

I know that Cardoe has been busy in RL of late and I've never pressed or
been pressed into considering it stable. However, real bug reports and
new feature implementations have slowed somewhat, so either it's Ready
For Stable or no-ones using it.

Thanks

Roy