lx...@sabayonlinux.org posted
fv50wm3klntqyetcw4uyaxe124vaj_fire...@mail.gmail.com, excerpted below, on
Mon, 25 May 2009 12:16:06 +0200:

> This is what I am doing in Sabayon, creating a new layer over Portage =>
> Entropy. I'm almost done, just need to work out some documentation and
> apidocs. http://gitweb.sabayon.org/?p=entropy.git;a=summary

Agreed.

Gentoo is in general a from-source metadistribution.  There's limited
support for binary packages in at least one of the package managers
(portage), but honestly, that's not what Gentoo's best at, and I don't
believe that will ever change without making it significantly worse at
what it IS best at now, the normal from-source Gentoo we know and love.

Better to leave the serious distribution level binary repackaging to the
Gentoo-based distributions like Sabayon.  Let them do what they do best,
and let Gentoo continue doing what it does best.  By definition, binary
packaging isn't broken and doesn't need fixed, as that's not part of what
defines Gentoo, so don't fix what ain't broken! =:^)

That said, I could envision an eselect like "binary profile" switcher,
that subject to settings in a config file, changes USE flags, CFLAGS, gcc-
configs an appropriate gcc version, etc, changing PKGDIR appropriately as
well, so one could easily enough create as many "binary profiles" as
desired and as the use case dictated.  It's likely various reasonably
large Gentoo deployments are already doing something like this as it
could certainly be scripted, but an emergable package to make it easy for
ordinary joe Gentoo user would be useful, and I believe appreciated by
many.

(Here, I'd put it to use when testing new gcc versions, making it easy to
swap out PKGDIRs and revert to the old version either per-package or
system-wide, if the new version was breaking too much.)

So here:  No to the whole big complicated let's fix Gentoo binaries
thing.  There's already Gentoo-based binary solutions like Sabayon for
those so interested, and I can't see Gentoo doing better than they're
doing, at least not without breaking the from-source that Gentoo's good
at.  But yes to anyone interested in developing a nice new "binary
profile" switcher to make managing binary package sets easier for those
Gentoo admins that would find such a thing useful.  Whether they then
start making those profiles public and whether anyone else chooses to use
them is entirely up to the individual admins whose systems would be
affected.