This isn't meant to shoot stuff down, but more to suggest other places that
filtering is probably going to be needed, based on some "advanced" [1] usage of
Gentoo.

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 03:26:56AM +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> What do I mean by auto-filtering?  Auto-filtering works to protect the
> user's privacy.  It's the process of comparing his local settings
> against the knowledge base of the Gentoo system:  Every part of his
> config that's outside of that larger set is stripped away, because
> publishing that information could hurt his privacy.  To make this more
> concrete:
I really need to get around to publishing one of my sekrit projects,
"managed-portage", which I might as well start to describe here, as it's nearly
ready. It's not so much a direct codebase for use, but a guideline on how to
manage sets of machines that may match in certain dimensions only: location,
purpose, hardware type [2]

The entire managed-portage system works with stacked profiles, and
various degrees of partial inheritance, so machines can end up with very
different views of the package trees.

Relevant to this, I might not want to disclose my profile inheritance
tree. Here's one of them for you:
/etc/make.profile
/etc/managed-portage/hosts/build_webdb/make.profile
/etc/managed-portage/common/post/make.profile
/etc/managed-portage/class/webdb/make.profile
/etc/managed-portage/class/db/make.profile
/etc/managed-portage/class/web/make.profile
/etc/managed-portage/common/pre/make.profile
/etc/managed-portage/location/surrey/make.profile
/etc/managed-portage/hwtype/nehalem/make.profile
/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/2008.0

> For Overlays ..
>     we filter out overlays not located below /usr/local/portage/layman/.
This is going to be fail.
1. That's not the only location used for layman.
- At home: /code/gentoo/layman/
- At work: /usr/local/portage-layman/
- Gentoo Infra: /usr/portage/local/layman/

2. Just because an overlay is distributed by layman does NOT mean that
   it's safe to disclose the existence of, within Gentoo infra, we do
   this in layman.cfg:
overlays  : http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt
            file:///etc/layman/infra-overlays.xml

While I don't mind disclosing the list of overlays we have in infra,
other large-scale use of layman might not be happy to disclose it.
If it came from the layman-global.txt, sure, it might be ok, but see if there's
a way to filter out others.

3. For one of my work overlays, we have a custom category called
   'ih-int', for our internal ebuilds (some just meta ebuild, others
   full applications). I might not want to disclose just those package names.

Footnotes:
[1]
By "advanced", I mean stuff that I haven't seen used by many users, but have
seen in large-scale business usage of Gentoo.

[2]
Hardware type is very fined grained for my use:
- Usually pairs of motherboard+cpu combinations.
- Multiple generations of Opterons.
- Multiple generations of Xeons.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson