Title: xorg-x11-7.4 and xorg-server-1.5 kernel support
Author: Tobias Klausmann <klaus...@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed: x11-base/xorg-x11
Display-If-Installed: x11-base/xorg-server
Display-If-Profile: default-linux/alpha
Display-If-Profile: default/linux/alpha

Recent versions of xorg's X11 require kernel support to access PCI and
AGP graphic cards. This support has only recently been added to the
Linux kernel (vanilla-sources-2.6.30 and gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r5).
Thus, you will need to run a recent enough kernel to use recent versions
of X11 on an alpha. If you only start programs on your alpha, but the
display is on another machine, no upgrade is necessary.

Furthermore, not all graphics card drivers have been updated to work
with the newer X server API. One example is the glint driver used for
Permedia cards. The upstream developers have been informed about this,
but nothing has happened so far.

--
We are sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary.
Please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again.