On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 11:02 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> 2009/7/23 Sérgio Almeida <meph...@gmail.com>:
> > A child process cannot (or shouldn't be able to) change parent's process
> > environment.
> >
> > uprofile will need to change env var's on-the-fly. For instance tag $PS1
> > with the current profile in use
> >

> I don't understand what use this feature has. Won't the "current
> profile" be persistent across shells? If so, won't PS1 not be
> persistent if you change in on-the-fly? If you don't intend to keep it
> persistent, what's the use? (Actually, I don't see the use of having
> it at all)

Nirbheek,

You will have a persistent profile across shells and you can change it.
(This one requires sourcing). A capability of having a profile per
folder (like a folder .uselect per profiled folder)  was discussed
previously in these lists. (Actually prior to the start of SoC) I still
consider this a great feature. You changedir, you call uprofile, and
voila, new profile. You login again, default profile.

Cheers,
Sérgio
--
Sérgio Almeida - meph...@gmail.com