Christian Faulhammer <fa...@gentoo.org> writes:
> Josh Sled <js...@asynchronous.org>:
>> Christian Faulhammer <fa...@gentoo.org> writes:
>> > see attached test, please review.
>>
>> Why not just an elog during install of the emacs-23 package itself?
>
>  Because nobody reads them

If one doesn't read elog, which is at least put in the terminal during
the emerge (if not sent to IM or email), why would they read news, which
they need to go out of their way to find?

> and you get weird errors on start-up which
> will result in bug reports.

Except this won't get shown until after installation anyways.

    Display-If-Installed: =app-editors/emacs-23*

Maybe…

    Display-If-Installed: <app-editors/emacs-23

…instead?  To show to those users that are upgrade candidates?

I do wish there was a "pretend/pre-emerge notification" capability in
portage for things like upgrade guides (libxml, python 2.5->2.6, gnome,
xorg-1.5, &c.).  I guess news gets most of it, and then some.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo $...@${b}