On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:55:45PM +0200, Branko Badrljica wrote:
> Main question is NOT whether it works for you, but whether it will break
> stuff on significant percent of other users.
> It broke on my machine, for example, and it was quite disconcerting,
> since it was at quite inconvenient moment and I had note get to any
> shred of documentation about ANY kind of substantial behaviour change of
> new openrc...

The default is to use the old net.ethx style network scripts, which
still work as usual, so, that is why I said that I disagree about there
being a regression.  A regression means that something worked before,
but it doesn't now, and that is not the case if you accept the defaults.

If you accept the defaults and it doesn't work, I will gladly agree that
there is a major regression and the package should be masked.  On the
other hand, if the new network scripts  do not work, I don't see that as
a show stopper.  Yes, I would agree that there should be a warning about
turning off the oldnet use flag, but I don't think this warrants masking
the ebuild, unless I am missing something.  If I am, definitely let me
know.

--
William Hubbs
gentoo accessibility team lead