Michael Haubenwallner schrieb:
> Isn't the intention of multilib to have a new (64bit) system
> be compatible with the corresponding old (32bit) system?
>
> Please comment, thank you!
> /haubi/

If you have a 64bit system, the default should be 64bit, both for libs and for
binaries. The
additional multilib support allows to install and use additional 32bit libs and
binaries. Since they
are not the system dafault, they shouldnt be in some default place like lib,
but instead a
different, but clearly labeled dir like lib32. So the Gentoo way looks like the
right way to me.

And better support for this part is my current multilib-portage project, which
allows compilation
and installation of additional 32bit libs and binaries.

--
Thomas Sachau

Gentoo Linux Developer