On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:59:44 +0100, Fabian Groffen <grob...@gentoo.org>
wrote:
> With the current route where EAPI=3 will simply be EAPI=2 +
> offset-prefix support, and EAPI=4 will be EAPI=3 + some other stuff, the
> following question arose:
>
>   Should an ebuild using an EAPI that has offset-prefix support make the
>   use of that support mandatory or optional?

As a Gentoo Linux developer, I certainly wouldn't want to say that my
EAPI-3+ ebuilds are guaranteed to work on Gentoo Prefix platforms without
testing(keywording) it.

As a Gentoo Prefix user, I certainly wouldn't want devs that don't know
how to test an ebuild to work on Gentoo Prefix to say that it works.
As a Gentoo Prefix developer, I certainly don't want to fix bugs by people
that don't know how test on (or have access to) Gentoo Prefix.

In the end, every Gentoo Prefix arch needs a specific keyword anyway.
Unless that changes, I can't say that I see many benefits to making
offset-prefix support mandatory in EAPI-3. OTOH, if it is mandatory and I
screw it up for Gentoo Prefix platforms, no one will know until it gets
keyworded (and hence tested).

-Jeremy

> In other words, one can perfectly fine write an ebuild EAPI=3 that will
> not work in an offset-prefix install, due to improper absence of
EPREFIX,