Le Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 08:30:26PM +0200, Markos Chandras a écrit:
> So if you want a package, plz take care of it :)

From a "user" point of view, having submitted ebuilds, patches
ideas and questions here and there on bugs.go, I must admit I end
up putting up my "contributions" on my local /usr/local/portage
because it never makes it to the official tree.

I love Gentoo, but sometimes I feel like I'm using a debian stable :)

I do not say everything should be bloody-edge at all times, but
as a hoster, I use a lot of those so-called "servers" -- apache,
mysql, cyrus-imapd, inn, postfix, amavisd, maia (which has a
working, if not perfect, ebuild standing in bugs.go for years now
-- #130068 -- and which is in "maintainer-needed" status), etc) ,
and I have to put them under our local tree to use them.

For example, I've one for pondus, a very small gnome app which
tracks your weight... I never bothered submitting it to bgo.

I wonder how much time flies before users begin to stop posting
their corrections to bugs.go and keep them local, because they
never get committed.

I agree that some management is needed, but I feel like it's
becoming more and more complicated to participate in the project
-- either you have to write a document showing you understand how
the management works (why should I care ? I just want to add a
patch), either your patch/ebuild is "ignored" for years.

It might not be the case for every herd, though.

It seems to me it was easier to participate in 2004...

BTW, I'm not looking to troll here, so please: no flamewar. It's
just my humble opinion, I don't want to get people mad, and I can
very much be completely wrong.

        Arnaud.