On 01/18/10 01:38, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> On 01/17/10 21:31, Thilo Bangert wrote:
>> /var/layman i dislike due to this sentence in the FHS:
>>
>>    "Applications must generally not add directories to the top level of
>> /var. Such directories should only be added if they have some system-wide
>> implication[...]"
>
> [..]
>
> current ranking through my eyes:
>
> 1) /var/layman       con: adds folder to /var, maybe should not
> 2) /var/db/layman    con: you tell me
> 3) /var/lib/layman   con: not really /var/lib-style data

let me put the thoughts we collected so far to a decision.

looking at /var shows, that not many application really dared to have a
dedicated folder in /var directly:

  # find /var -maxdepth 1 -type d
  /var
  /var/tmp
  /var/lost+found
  /var/www
  /var/cache
  /var/spool
  /var/run
  /var/lock
  /var/db
  /var/gdm    <-- gnome-base/gdm
  /var/lib
  /var/empty  <-- net-misc/openssh
  /var/log
  /var/state

after re-considering the requirements for /var/lib/layman the data in
there can be host-specific (and therefore is not host-independent in
general).  i think it fits _well enough_ and to my impression it has
less potential of turning out wrong than non-FHS /var/db:

  so /var/lib/layman is the new default.

expect related commits to layman soon.

sebastian