On 25.1.2010 13.02, Dale wrote:
Petteri Räty wrote:
On 01/25/2010 04:28 AM, Dale wrote:
Well put. I would agree that a simple warning should be given before
removing a system package or a package that system must have, especially
portage.
Maybe what portage needs is a reverse -n feature. Instead of adding
something to the world file, it removes a unwanted package from the
world file and then the user could use --depclean to remove that package
and its no longer needed friends. I assume this is doable.

You can already use --depclean for this.

Regards,
Petteri

So there is already a option that is the reverse of -n ?

Dale

:-) :-)

You would first have to define the reverse to avoid misunderstanding.

       --noreplace (-n)
Skips the packages specified on the command-line that have already been installed.

Reverse: Install packages that are not already installed

- This is what Portage does by default

Reverse: Skips packages that are not installed

- Makes no sense with installation actions. Is this what you mean?

pena betelgeuse # emerge --depclean foobar
>>> No packages selected for removal by depclean

Regards,
Petteri