On 02/08/2010 01:36 PM, AllenJB wrote:
On 08/02/10 11:15, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
Hello.  Please don't be too harsh if I got this wrong or if this looks
like whining :P

A lot of ebuilds seem to ignore the "X" USE flag and instead only have
"gtk", "qt" and the like.  This should be declared absolutely wrong,
IMHO.  When a program provides a command-line tool and a GUI tool, and
the GUI tool uses only one toolkit, then the USE flag should be "X".
[...]

I don't see that either system makes particularly more sense than the
other.

The only situation that comes immediately to mind is: Under the current
system, if packages add or remove support for multiple toolkits, the
changes are trivial, but under your system it would invoke shuffling use
flags around (which could easily affect dependencies in other packages).
It would also not be immediately clear which toolkits support has been
added/removed under the proposed system (since a package would go from,
for example, having use flags "gtk kde" to just "X").

If it would be problematic for a package to switch to "X" then of course it might be better to leave it as-is. But most of the time, the programs in question only state "gtk" or "fltk" in them, even though Gtk is not optional at all. A perfect example here is media-video/xvattr. If you don't set the "gtk" USE flag, then you don't get the graphical tool at all, only the command line tool.

So in other words what I propose a bit more sanity, not some iron claw that hangs above the developer's heads. The situation right now is mixed anyway. Many packages use X, many others "gtk" or "fltk". The "sanity" part in this is simple that a general rule of USE flags is: If it's *not* optional, don't make it a USE flag. In the case of xvattr for example, Gtk is not optional if you want the X utility.