Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
2010-03-26 16:40:37 Brian Harring napisaƂ(a):
There really isn't a precedent since upgrades of this sort typically
either have extremely locked down deps, or just plain don't happen
till the vast majority of depndencies are updated.  If in doubt, look
at the past python upgrades- they've been delayed till all of the
major consumers played nice w/ the targeted python version.
Main active version of Python was automatically updated during previous Python
upgrades, but it's not updated during installation of Python 3.1.

As a user, I still think this could turn into a real mess. I think there will be quite a few that will see python being updated, run python-updater and switch it to the new python. At that point, it is going to hit the fan. I know because this is what I always do. News item or not, when python gets updated, I run python-updater and make sure it is selected.

If this somehow breaks portage, which it shouldn't since apparently portage is fine with the new python, then it is going to really hit the fan.

Me, I'm going to make SURE nothing changes on my system. Then I'm going to sit back and see what happens, good or bad. I can't imagine anything good but I sure can imagine bad things.

Dale

:-)  :-)