On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 03:46:47 -0700
Brian Harring <ferri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > | Occasionally, ebuilds will have conflicting USE flags for
> > | functionality. Checking for them and returning an error is not a
> > | viable solution. Instead, you must pick one of the USE flags in
> > | conflict to favour.
> >
> > [1] <http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/>
>
> I honestly consider the ebuild silently making decisions on the user's
> behalf *worse*.  Consider if openoffice silently made decisions like
> that- 4 hours later it'll wind up choosing the option you didn't
> really want and you'll be in a foul mood.

If I'm getting this right the proposed behavior is such that in case of
conflicting use flags emerge fails and user gets a message that he
has to set use flags as required. If so then I think it is not the right
way to handle it. A package manager should be able do deal with (use
flag) dependencies automatically. Similarly as it deals with "normal"
package dependenicies.

It should not do this silenly though. emerge -pv should display real
state of use flags; so if some use flag has to be turned on
automatically due to dependency/conflict then it has to be shown so.

This apply also for package[use_flag] deps. It is not very convenient
to fiddle use flags for individual packages that I basically do not care
about because they are just dependencies; so natural expectation is
that package manager pulls required deps. automatically (whether it
means install a package or install a package _with_ switched use flag).

I hope this does not sound that I'm dictating you what is the right way
to do things. I just wanted to express my opinion. And I admit that
perhaps I do not see possible negative consequences of such behaviour.

Regards,
Robert

--
Robert Cernansky