On 13-04-2010 18:12, Matti Bickel wrote:
> Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
>> From my PoV, editing ChangeLog is like editing history. Complete no-no.
>
> It is possible in all major SCMs for a reason. And I (as a user) would
> laugh at Changelog entries saying "um, I got that bug number wrong, it
> is really #1234". If I (as a developer) log such edits, I'm wasting my
> users time.
>
> So I'll continue to edit and commit Changelogs without additional notice.

Can't we just create a commit hook that appends the bug summary as a
comment if a #XXXXX bug string is present on the commit log?

Something like:
- -
Foobar commit

Description bl a bla bla

# bug 1234: Show summary for those that don't double check the bug
# number.
#
# Other git crap that usually appears at end of log
# ...
- -