Am Freitag 18 Juni 2010, 00:37:29 schrieb Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn:

> Though I am not opposed to adding a warning, I think the license mask is
> sufficient. If users demonstrate their indifference by setting
> ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" or adding AdobeFlash-10.1 without reading the
> license, then I somehow doubt that elog messages will have an effect.

Maybe I'm quite alone with that but I have ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" because I hate
to edit my make.conf each time I try to emerge a package with yet another
license that is missing in the variable. But I still watch for elog messages
carefully after each merge.

> >> Definitely yes! This is a very dangerous snippet in Adobe's license
> >> which
> >> should be pretty clearly pointed at to every user.
> >
> > Could that also include a alternative to adobe?  If there is one.
>
> There are three open-source flash browser plugins in portage:
> - swfdec: development seems to have stalled
> - gnash: I have received mixed reports about the stability of the
> current version. The next release will include VA-API support and other
> improvements.
> - lightspark: a recent effort which is in its early stages and still
> incomplete in many ways (eg. audio support is planned for 0.4.2)
>
> None of them I consider good enough to replace adobe-flash for the
> average user.

Unfortunately yes. Especially now that Adobe fails to provide x86_64 users a
non-vulnerable plugin I'd very much prefer to use an open-source replacement
that for sure would be fixed much faster in case it's affected by some security
vulnerability as well.
One can only hope that flash finally vanishes from WWW now that HTML5 could
become a good alternative...

--
Lars Wendler (Polynomial-C)
Gentoo developer and bug-wrangler