Hi!

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> > While that approach has the advantage of not only catching mapped
> > files but every open FD, I am thinking about implementing something
> > similar with lib_users (but using /proc/<pid>/fd/).
>
> The great advantage would be that it also discovers changed runtime
> configuration files. Not that it would also disregard "trivial"
> updates, of course, but by pointing out the filenames, an admin having
> just run etc-update could easily figure that out.

I suspect that wouldn't work in most cases since programs
typically close FDs after reading the config file(s)*. The one
program I know of that doesn't, uses the FD to find out the file
changed and does file-was-deleted handling internally.

Still, if config files aren't the only useful case for checking
the FDs, it might be worthwhile to implement.

Regards,
Tobias

* This is a /good/ thing.