Am 16.09.2010 03:46, schrieb Ryan Hill:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:02:00 +0200
> Thomas Sachau <to...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> From discussion on IRC, it seems, like there are different options, so i
>> would like to clarify this
>> policy:
>>
>> The test USE flag is (i am only talking about portage now, since i am most
>> familar with it) an
>> internal flag, which is added by portage for every ebuild and
>> enabled/disabled based on
>> FEATURES=test or not. It is not managed via USE= line in make.conf or
>> package.use settings. So in
>> handling and setting, it is pretty much the same as for the arch USE flags,
>> which are also only
>> internally used and added, but never exposed to the users.
>> Now i see the opinion, that it should always be added to IUSE, when it is
>> referenced in the ebuild.
>> This adds it to the visible USE flags in emerge output (imho pointless,
>> since it is no option, which
>> can be enabled/disabled like the other USE flags), but otherwise does change
>> nothing.
>>
>> Because of this, i would like to discourage the addition of test USE flag to
>> IUSE, since it is just
>> an internal USE flag, which should not be exposed to the user.
>
> Well, it does indicate the presence of optional dependencies.
>
> I've always thought the test USE flag being forced by FEATURES=test was
> messed up.  Why can't it be controlled package-by-package, with FEATURES=test
> just enabling USE=test by default?

Controling the test USE flag alone without the test FEATURE is useless, since
it wont run the
src_test phase. And being able to disable the test USE flag with FEATURES=test
will result in
missing deps or build-system args. Can you tell me any reason, why you want to
expose and control
the test USE flag independently of FEATURES=test?

--
Thomas Sachau

Gentoo Linux Developer