> many man pages exist merely as a redirect to another man page:
> $ xzcat /usr/share/man/man1/zcat.1.xz
> .so man1/gzip.1

> compressing these tiny (always?) results in a larger file.  that means we
> arent saving space, and we're adding overhead at runtime.

> two options which we can do transparently:
>       - rewrite the .so man pages into symlinks
>       - omit them from compression

> the latter is pretty easy (see below). any preferences on which
> route to take though as the former shouldnt be too hard either ...

With "controllable compression" in EAPI 4, /usr/share/man will no
longer be special in any way. (Currently, the part of prepman that
your patch changes won't even be reached in EAPI 4.)

If we take the second route, then maybe it should be a more general
solution, i.e. exclude all tiny files (man page or not) from
compression?

But I think that rewriting the .so files into symlinks would be
cleaner.

Ulrich