On 00:30 Mon 15 Nov     , Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 14/11/2010 alle 22.03 +0100, Thomas Kahle ha scritto:
> > I have a package (sci-libs/mpir) whose configure supports building of
> > fat binaries with both x86 and amd64 assembler in the binary.
>
> Oh the heck are they implemented? If they are FatELF, no they shouldn't
> be used, ever, full stop.

They don't tell.  From the manual:

Fat binary, ‘--enable-fat’

Using ‘--enable-fat’ selects a “fat binary” build on x86 or x86 64
systems, where optimized low level subroutines are chosen at runtime
according to the CPU de- tected. This means more code, but gives
reasonable performance from a single bi- nary for all x86 chips, or
similarly for all x86 64 chips. (This option might become available for
more architectures in the future.)

Cheers,
Thomas

--