On 12/01/2010 01:16 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 01/12/2010 alle 19.05 +0100, Thomas Kahle ha scritto:
>>

>> I agree, comments within the ebuild are practically invisible to
>> archteams (at least to me for x86).  But also running repoman is
>> usually
>> the final step, right before committing.  The place for comments that
>> need to be considered during archtesting would be right in the stable
>> request bug. This is where I usually start.
>
> This is where I usually try to provide them; it's a bit more complex
> when users require the stable themselves, or when new developers are
> replacing the old ones.

Agreed on all points.  Ideal behavior is to provide comments in the bug.
 However, if that doesn't happen then this comment will give a warning
to the arch team before they inadvertently shoot themselves in the foot.

>> If I do normal build tests first and then find they have been in vain
>> when running repoman, then I wasted cycles for the build tests. I'm
>> unsure if this would apply to your original example, though.
>>
> I sincerely expect(ed) a repoman scan of the ebuild to be done after
> tweaking keywords to ensure all the deps are stable already, thus why I
> asked it to be printed on scan.

So, my typical stable workflow is:

Install package, after overriding keywords/etc in /etc/portage.
Test package and satisfy myself that it is OK.
>From CVS tree, cvs update, ekeyword, echangelog, repoman manifest,
repoman scan, repoman commit.

All the testing typically takes place well before I've touched an ebuild
or run repoman.

However, I don't see this as a big deal.  Right now I shoot myself in
the foot and make a bunch of users upset if I don't know about something
when I stable a package.  The enhancement causes me to potentially waste
some of my time, but less than if I have a big mess to clean up.  The
ideal solution as all agree is to have the package maintainer point
things out in the STABLEREQ.

Rich