2010-12-18 03:48:26 Donnie Berkholz napisaƂ(a):
> On 02:45 Sat 18 Dec     , Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
> > Problem #1: USE flags cannot contain "." characters.
>
> This isn't a problem, it's an arbitrary statement of an antifeature. My
> understanding of the actual problem here is that you want to have some
> sort of USE flags for various Python versions with names containing
> periods, for usability. Perhaps you could expand on exactly what you
> want to do, so we can work together to figure out whether this is the
> best route to solve your problem.
>
> If the problem is handling which Python versions to build modules for,
> I'm wondering whether enhancing the eselect module to select multiple
> preferred versions might not be a better solution than EAPI changes.

USE flags would allow to use USE dependencies to ensure that dependencies of
given package
have been installed for required Python versions.

> > ================================================================================================
> >
> > Problem #2: Files in profiles cannot use features from newer EAPIs.
>
> Could you explain how the eapi file in profiles does not address this?
> The 10.0 profiles are using it already with EAPI=2.

I would like to use EAPI="4"-specific syntax in a file in base profile (or
somewhere else) to
affect all profiles. If I have to rely on "eapi" files, then all non-deprecated
profiles
checked by repoman would have to use EAPI >=4.

> > ================================================================================================
> >
> > Problem #3: repoman doesn't allow stable packages to have optional
> > dependencies on unstable
> > packages (usually until these packages are stabilized).
>
> This seems useful at first glance, but I'm wondering how big of a
> problem it really is and whether this solution is a bit overarchitected.
>
> > Example of the problem:
> > If "python_abis_2.7", "python_abis_3.1" and "python_abis_3.2" USE
> > flags are masked using use.mask on given architectures until Python
> > 2.7, 3.1 and 3.2 are stabilized on these architectures, then majority
> > of reverse dependencies of Python won't be tested with new versions of
> > Python.
>
> Why does that have to be the case? Why not unmask them earlier but only
> make them available to ~arch ebuilds?

There are already hundreds of stable ebuilds, which support unstable Python 2.7
(without
explicit optional dependency on Python 2.7). The solution to problem #3
shouldn't require
any changes in ebuilds.

> I don't know of anyone who's actually done this, but setting IUSE based
> on ACCEPT_KEYWORDS being ~arch should be possible.

It would break invariance of metadata.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis