On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 19:30:03 +0100, Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
I've noticed at least two forums threads that suggest there might be a
bug resulting in automatic "flip" of system python to python3:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-859654-highlight-.html
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6541077.html

Do you think it may be a bug, and if so, how can we debug it?

Both of those threads were on new installs. There was a regression in stage building for some time that set python3 as the default system python. That was fixed here:

5       01 Jan 2011; Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto <jmbsvice...@gentoo.org>
6       python-2.6.6-r1.ebuild:
7       Non-maintainer commit.
8 Reverting commit that broke stage generation for python-2.6.6-r1 as it wasn't
9       reverted before - bug 347867.
10      This commit was accepted by Arfrever.

See also, bug 330655. FWIW, I have recently confirmed that there is expected behavior now in the stage3-amd64-20110106 tarball.

-Jeremy