Hi all,

I just wanted to write here a clarification regarding self-produced
distfiles, such as patchset tarballs, SCM snapshots and the like. Some
people seem under the impression that the correct way to host these is
to use mirror://gentoo/ and copy them on /space/distfiles-local on
dev.g.o. Please don't do this.

If you produced the file yourself, and it doesn't matter if the file is
reproducible (unless it is reproducible to sha512 identity), please use
the public_html directory in your dev.gentoo.org home to host these.
This makes sure that the file won't be deleted from all its sources if
the ebuild is removed (or more likely replaced) from tree. Ask the Emacs
team how "easy" has been to recover gentoo-syntax files before.

Yes, we all know that the history with the Infra team has been against
this idea, but until there is a proper replacement for this handling,
the Gentoo sources archive, we really shouldn't be putting the data in
non-permanent locations, the team should, nowadays, be on the same page
as me on this.

Pushing files that are still available somewhere else, but cannot be
directly fetched for whatever reason is still to be bone
through /space/distfiles-local.

*PLEASE NOTE:* This is to be considered QA policy, so we're going to ask
soon to enforce this. This requirement, though, _will_ be superseded as
soon as Infra provides us with a proper archive for this kind of files.

Thank you,
--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/