On 2011.02.07 20:50, Markos Chandras wrote:
[snip]

> My suggestion, as I said to fosdem, is to freeze, or take a
> snapshot if you like, of the current tree, stabilize what you need to
> stabilize, test the whole tree ( at least compile wise ) for a couple
> of weeks and then replace the existing stable tree. Of course this
> requires automated script testing, hardware facilities etc etc that
> we don't have so claiming that stable tree is "stable" is quite
> wrong.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2

Markos,

This is exactly what releng used to do for installer CDs.  This was
last used for 2008.0 CD/DVD. A snapshot of the stable tree was taken in
February 200.8 and the release hit the mirrors in September.

The seven month test/fix/retest that it took meant that the CD would
not boot on new hardware as the kernel lacked drivers.

You will find similar lags when releng used this approach for other
earlier releases.

We would need to move to a release cycle like the kernel. Calling a
feature freeze at the start of the test cycle. As we can't everything,
we might as well distribute binaries of what was tested - just as
releng used to do.

To me thats not Gentoo as we would loose the rolling updates.

There are degrees of stable.  I believe most Gentoo users
realise this fairly early on and stick with Gentoo because they like
the balance it strikes between Debian stable and bleeding edge.
There is a price to pay for being more up to date and it a trade off
Gentoo users are aware off. Of course, that does not prevent them
bringing breakages to our attention.

--
Regards,

Roy Bamford