On Friday, February 11, 2011 11:49:43 Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 02/11/2011 06:38 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> > 4) What have we learned from libpng 1.2 -> 1.4 upgrade? I'd just like to
> > be better informed.
>
> One way under consideration:
>
> We have been discussing about removing libpng.pc, libpng.so and
> unversioned headers from the libpng 1.5.x package allowing it to install
> parallel with libpng 1.4.x.
>
> That means every package that has been checked working against 1.5.x,
> will need to be patched to link against -lpng15, use headers from the
> libpng15/ directory and use libpng15.pc instead.
>
> Or we go with the old route as with 1.2 to 1.4 but that means everything
> must be ported before it gets KEYWORDS.

i dont see any real advantages with SLOT-ed installs of libpng beyond ABI
(i.e. what we're doing today with libpng-1.2.x and libpng-1.4.x).  there are
however plenty of downsides.  patching packages in the tree is a huge hassle,
you add hassle to end users who d/l random packages and try to build things
themselves, and you make Gentoo non-standard wrt every other distro out there.

best we follow what everyone else is already doing, and what upstream packages
will have to ultimately do anyways -- fix their code to work with libpng-1.5
when the API has been forcibly broken.
-mike