> Gnuplot’s cairopdf terminal generates vector output. One might argue
> that it is not optimal, but only because it uses line segments
> rather than cubic curves to approximate graphs. (Ie, it uses cairo’s
> lineto rather than curveto functions.)

> But so do gnuplot’s native terminals (I tested postscript and svg.)

> That is just how gnuplot draws.

Thank you for this nice analysis.

> I’d still keep the pdf USE flag with its current meaning; users may
> have existing gnuplot scripts which use gnuplot’s pdf terminal
> and/or apps which generate such scripts.

I don't think that keeping media-libs/pdflib in the tree is realistic.
There is no Gentoo maintainer and it has open security issues.
Besides, version 7 is discontinued, and version 8 is available only as
a binary (static) library under commercial licensing.

Of course, such decisions are sometimes painful. But will they be less
painful if we postpone them by another year or two?

> Unless, of course, a patch is added which makes «set term pdf» an
> alias for «set term cairopdf».

Upstream has wisely named the terminal pdfcairo (not cairopdf).
Therefore, gnuplot's autocompletion will do its job, without any
additional patch.

Ulrich