On 03/05/2011 04:41 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Alex Alexander<wi...@gentoo.org>  wrote:
Anyway, compilation on a modern system shouldn't take more than an
hour. ~15-20 minutes on a quad i5.

Clearly your definition of modern doesn't include my server...  :)
Just checked and the last build clocked in at 192 minutes.  I need to
make sure I have /var/tmp/portage symlinked back to a non-tmpfs
location whenever I build it or else the system pretty-much dies from
a lack of RAM.

Then I'd say you have your tmpfs mount options configured wrongly :-) You should specify a maximum amount of RAM it should use. When it fill up, it then uses swap.