On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
>> and no where do we require you to generate a gpg key bound to the
>> Gentoo e-mail address.  we require you to provide a gpg key only.
>> like you said *right here*, we have 0 information to identify you, and
>> using a Gentoo e-mail address adds *nothing* to that.  so why add a
>> completely useless requirement ?
>
> Because, pointing out the obvious, the key can contain all sorts of random
> true or false information. I could have an user id saying "Barack Obama
> <presid...@whitehouse.gov>".
>
> To be able to do key validation based on gpg's mechanisms, an userid needs to
> be signed. As e.g. Scarabeus and Wired can confirm, I'm definitely not Barack
> Obama, but for less obvious cases the validity of the provided identity may
> be unclear.
>
> Now, if I add an userid "<dilfri...@gentoo.org>" to my key, this userid does
> not contain any information that is not already verified and "in the Gentoo
> infra data". So, this one userid could be signed immediately by a central
> instance without any further fuss.

first off, fix your e-mail client.  this long line crap is ridiculous.

second, anyone can add/remove e-mail addresses.  we arent verifying
e-mail addresses, we're verifying keys.  the *only* thing that matters
is that the key we have on file (0xabcd) is the one that was used to
sign.

> It's imho not a hard requirement, but it considerably eases administration.
> So why not require it for devs?

it makes 0 difference to administration
-mike