On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 06:02:37 +0200
Jeroen Roovers <j...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:05:03 -0600
> Ryan Hill <dirtye...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > You want to force English on all our users because you can't be
> > bothered to ask a reporter to repost an error message using LC_ALL=C?
>
> Are you saying you are setting up the tree-wide project that
> automatically translates LC_MESSAGES? Round of applause!

Nope, but I am raising donations to fund an instructive manual on the usage
of the NEEDINFO resolution.

> > For a growing portion of our user base it's not "nice" to see these
> > messages in their native language, it's fucking "necessary".
>
> Another round of applause for the appalling attitude.
>
> Could you elaborate on the need to read error messages in your own
> language? How is the sys-apps/portage translation project doing anyway?
> Still only in Polish, hm? :)

Que?  Are you saying that because portage is in English that people that
don't speak English don't use Gentoo?  I would have to disagree.

If you think that getting the occasional bug report in a language you aren't
familiar with is annoying, imagine how not being able to get any build output
you can read might feel, especially if the reason is only because some dev
couldn't be bothered to occasionally ask someone to repost an error message in
English.

This reminds me of the time someone wanted to ban inline `emerge --info`
postings in bugzilla (ie. attachments only) because they found scrolling
through them bothersome.

In other words, suck it up.

--
fonts, gcc-porting,                  it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets                           but i'll take it free anytime