On Monday 13 of June 2011 11:35:08 Patrick Lauer wrote:
> On 06/13/11 01:44, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> > On Friday 10 of June 2011 20:08:00 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> >> You might want to chuck it out and start from scratch...
> >>
> >> Much of the difficulty with the original webapp-config was that it was
> >> designed to work on Windows. Stuart's plan was to create a distribution
> >> and operating system independent way of dealing with web apps, sort of
> >> like CPAN; Gentoo was merely the testbed. If your goals don't match
> >> that, you're probably better rethinking everything than trying to revive
> >> something that was designed for a completely different purpose.
> >
> > Also, for pure Gentoo needs it may be better to replace webapp-config
> > with package manager and eclasses.
>
> How does that handle multiple installs etc.?

Multiple version installs? Package slotting could be utilized.
If multiple instances of the same version - of course it doesn't but nothing
prevents you (or eclass - pkg_config() phase) from creating apache config for
each virtualhost (for instance) you want particular webapp served. It's not
like one really needs to bluntly copy webapp code to deploy it multiple times,
usually it's sufficient to fiddle with <DocumentRoot/> and <Directory/>.
Sometimes patches are needed of course.

> > So to install web apps to /usr/share or sth and provide apache config
> > files to set up those webapps like Debian does for instance
>
> ZOMG NOES.
> That stuff is horrible, it randomly patches the webserver config
> wrongly, then restarts the webserver - so installing nagios knocks out
> your apache. Which then makes for some funny debugging ...
>
> Let's aim higher than that, please, I don't want random misbehaviour :)

I forgot the word 'Debian' triggers some unhandled exceptions within your
processing queue ;)
Seriously, Debian-way of handling web apps isn't bad at all from my experience
(I'm not sysadmin however, I just happened to maintain a few web/dev servers),
certainly better out-of-the-box experience and better organized than what we
have IMHO (save webapp-config).

As for httpd service auto restarts - I believe that was never suggested for
Gentoo anyway, just "a bit Debian-like" apache config layout - bug 296271.

--
regards
MM