On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 3:01 AM, justin <j...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 22/06/11 09:55, Michał Górny wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:15:35 +0200
>> justin <j...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> Removing fortran and adding an dependency on virtual/fortran lets
>>> portage select dev-lang/ifc as the fortran compiler of choice.
>>
>> That's because portage doesn't suggest USE changes for one-of deps, and
>> just falls back to first USE-clean option.
>>

> In my tests it does. if there only gcc[-fortra] present, it asks me to
> change the USE.
>
>>> I reverted it back temporarily, so everything should be fine now
>>> again.
>>
>> As said on IRC, if you really intend to do a thing like that, you
>> should re-enable fortfran on the gcc package by default.
>>

> I reverted to where we came from. Every further proceeding will be
> coordinated with the toolchain guys. Generally I would like to remove
> USE=fortran from default, as nearly solely science packages are written
> in fortran and I doubt that nearly half of the user base do science.
>
> I will come up with a plan.
>
> jusitn

Hey Justin,

One thing to note is that a few various python modules, like numpy,
really benefit from fortran. While many people using numpy are
scientists, many are not and further there are various modules that
depend on numpy that non-science folks use. I, for one, care little
about where that flag is set, since I have manually set that USE for
years now in make.conf. I am simply hoping to make you aware of the
fact that there are potential cases that could be easily overlooked.

Thanks!
Matt
--
Matthew W. Summers