On Monday, July 11, 2011 20:38:49 William Hubbs wrote:
> this bug was filed against OpenRc today [1]. The issue was that the user
> was attempting to use bash arrays, which, as far as I knew are not
> supported in OpenRc.

they've been supported to ease migration from existing configs.

> bash arrays are not documented anywhere as far as OpenRc  is concerned.

yes, but very little has been historically documented in openrc, so i wouldnt
take that as a suggestion of intent.

> Also, this is not a posix feature, so supporting it technically goes against
> OpenRc's design.

i dont think this logic follows.  openrc's design is to be usable on top of
POSIX shells, but not as a requirement.  if you search the mailing list
archives, i recall Roy having a thread on the topic of bash arrays.

> I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, what is the technical
> advantage for bash arrays as compared to using strings the way things
> are shown in net.example?
>
> If there isn't one, would there be a lot of objections to me removing
> this code?

i dont think we've had openrc in stable long enough to force people to
migrate.  so i'd keep the code putting along for now, and add a note to the
feature removal schedule only after we have checks in the openrc ebuild that
to catch upgrade paths (and perhaps even do the migration for users).
-mike