On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 07:22:15PM +0200, Francesco Riosa wrote:
> everything about portage is very specific and should be separated, I
> would like to see an addition of one root directory "gentoo" where
> ${PKGMANAGER} keep all it's stuff.
> Some of these are already moveable with ${*DIR} variables in
> make.conf, others are not

I don't agree that we should create a "gentoo" root directory; however,
to be technical, /usr/portage is wrong.

I will list what My thoughts would be below your suggestions. Keep in
mind that this is just being thrown out there without thinking about the
details all that much.

> 20K     /gentoo/tmp

Maybe /tmp?

> 20K     /gentoo/overlays

This isn't on everyones system, so I think it is up to the user and what
you are putting in it. Maybe /var/cache/portage/overlays?

> 639M    /gentoo/portage

/var/cache/portage/gentoo-portage

> 3.1G    /gentoo/distfiles

/var/cache/portage/distfiles?

> 4.1M    /gentoo/var/log

/var/log/portage? They are logs so they should go where all other logs
are.

> 36K     /gentoo/var/lib/portage

/var/lib/portage is ok for this I think.

> 43M     /gentoo/var/db/pkg

/var/db/pkg is fine for this I think.

> 940K    /gentoo/var/cache/edb

Maybe /var/cache/portage/edb?