On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 03:57:30PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> Sorry, I should have been more clear here. Mounting /var doesn't fill up
> the root partition, but if you don't want to use the initramfs, this
> means that /var must also exist on the root partition, which can create
> more of a concern for filling the root partition than putting /usr on
> the root partition creates.
That's a problem for the users, not the initramfs. The initramfs
supports /usr, /var and anything else as noted. Having /var on / is a
perfectly valid choice for certain situations. The problem of filling up
/ is PEBKAC primarily, and can happen equally for / (think /root), /usr
on /, /var on /.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robb...@gentoo.org