On 15:02 Tue 13 Sep     , Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
> Excerpts from Joshua Kinard's message of 2011-09-13 14:26:02 +0200:
> > > You don't need -n/-z with [[.
> > >
> > >   [[ $var ]] == [[ -n $var ]]
> > >   [[ ! $var ]] == [[ -z $var ]]
> >
> > What about other comparisons, like -f, -e, or -d?
>
> Same as inside [, but no need of quotes inside [[.
>
> > Also, is this a bash4-only thing, or bash3 and/or bash2 as well?
>
> I'm not sure.
>
> OT: When I was going through recruitment process, dberkholz pointed to
> me that I use things bash4-only. And again: why we need to stick to
> ancient 3 version? I would understand pseudo POSIX compatibility, but
> what is the benefit of bash3 compatibility while bash4 is stable
> already?

It's because people want to pretend that it's possible for incredibly
outdated systems (those with bash-3 only) to be updated.

We're stuck in this limbo because "we" have apparently decided that just
waiting a year, as we used to do, isn't good enough anymore; but at the
same time, we don't have a better mechanism in place yet. So we're
waffling around, doing nothing.

--
Thanks,
Donnie