On 17:29 Wed 14 Sep     , Brian Harring wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 02:16:41PM -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> > > Exactly the wrong approach; it winds up with master
> > > repositories/overlays cloning the functionality all over the damn
> > > place.
> >
> > Why are people cloning anything if it's in eutils.eclass in gentoo-x86?
>
> There are more repositories than just gentoo-x86, and overlay is *not*
> the only configuration in use.

Who else besides you is using any other configuration? Should we really
give a crap about the 0.001% population with some weird setup when we're
trying to improve things for the 99.999% one?

> In the old days of the PM only handling a single overlay stack, what
> you're suggesting would be less heinous- heinous in detail, but
> pragmatic in reality.  These days it's a regressive approach-
> requiring everyone to slave gentoo-x86 isn't sane, nor is avoiding
> eapi (resulting in people having to duplicate code into each
> repository stack).

I don't know many people who aren't using gentoo-x86 or a repo that
pulls in changes directly from it.

--
Thanks,
Donnie