On Sunday, September 18, 2011 18:16:30 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > '$(use_enable static-libs static)' themselves. While at it, it may be
> > better to just drop the flag if no other package relies on it and no
> > user has ever requested the static build of that package.
>
> I don't see any harm with including IUSE="static-libs" for every
> package that has working/usable static libraries[1]. Why wait for
> users to request it on bugzilla when it's a near-zero-cost and
> zero-maintenance to add it to ebuilds?

i missed this sentence from Michał's e-mail.  unconditionally not building
static libraries is against policy.  if you install shared libs that get
linked against, then you must provide static libraries unconditionally as well
or support IUSE=static-libs.  maintainers do not get to choose "no one has
asked for it and no one in the tree is using it thus my ebuild isnt going to".
-mike