On 09/19/2011 13:36, Greg KH wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 06:37:49AM -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
>> On 09/19/2011 05:10, Michał Górny wrote:
>>

>>> Could we stop putting random stuff in random dirs because 'it will
>>> work'? /etc is _SYSCONFDIR_. I don't see how PCI IDs are config at all.
>>

>> The best answer is for someone to look into udev and see what it needs
>> exactly from /usr.  Does it really need pci.ids?  Or is it just the fact
>> that random udev rules might rely on a tool/lib in /usr?
>
> Oh come on people, please do some basic research and read what has been
> posted about this numerous times in the past instead of just guessing.

I'll admit that I do need to read more.  But it seems this discussion goes
back a few months and there's no clear starting point on what began this.  I
don't always have time to keep tabs on every diverging trend in the Linux
world, so I missed this back when it started.  Any references you can point
me to?

> And for those udev/systemd haters, you all do know about devtmpfs,
> right?  If not, {sigh}, I don't even know why I care anymore...

I'm not a hater of systemd or udev.  I just don't use systemd, because basic
init and the OpenRC setup work for my installs.  Maybe not everyone's, so
systemd (and others) fill those gaps.

With udev, I don't pay a lot of attention to it -- it JustWorks(TM).  No
need to really fiddle with something that isn't broken.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic