On Thursday 20 October 2011 04:47:14 Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
> I've noticed
> <http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/SecurityHardeningBuildFlags>, i.e.
> Debian is starting to make more and more hardening features default, at
> least for most packages.

seems a bit light on what actually is being used

random thoughts:
 - we've long defaulted to linking with relro
 - defaulting to bindnow is pretty much a no go for USE=-hardened
 - building everything as PIC/PIE comes with performance penalty for some
architectures (e.g. x86), and is often the source of build issues with the
hardened port
 - we've long defaulted to building with _FORTIFY_SOURCE
 - i'd need to see actual overhead data with SSP to see about enabling it by
default
-mike