On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkh...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I looked into this 6 or 7 years ago. It wasn't feasible unless you were
> on an extremely high-speed, low-latency network, beyond what was
> typically accessible at the time outside of universities and LANs. Could
> be worth exploring again now that 25-100 mbps connections are becoming
> more common.

I tried messing around with this with Amazon EC2.  The problem was
that due to latency I only really saw the benefit for VERY high levels
of parallelization (think -j25+)..  However, make isn't actually
"distcc-aware" so it just runs 25 jobs of anything in parallel.  So,
anytime a makefile launched a ton of java or python jobs the host
ground to a halt as it wasn't distributed and it was way more than the
host could handle (especially java - which swapped like there was no
tomorrow).

If somebody were to do a distcc-ng for a large cluster one of the
problems to solve would be having it not run jobs in parallel if it
couldn't actually distribute them.

Rich