On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 01:50:25PM -0500, Olivier Crête wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 10:41 +0200, Eray Aslan wrote:
> > RedHat made some bad design decisions on RPM (.rpmnew files anyone?) and
> > udev.  Udev was probably salvagable before systemd but noone has the
> > motivation or the man-power to manage the huge delta that would result
> > now.  It would probably amount to forking udev.  So people are following
> > along even if they are unhappy.
>
> This is completely unrelated to RPMs.

The same packages are moving towards a system where config files reside
under /usr/lib with users overriding the defaults in /etc
(/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/ and /etc/udev/rules.d).  I doubt this would have
come about if RPM had a sensible way of dealing with config files -if
they had etc-update/dispatch-conf for example.

--
Eray Aslan <e...@gentoo.org>