Duncan wrote:
Considering glibc was just one of some 200-ish packages I rebuilt early
today due to -N, most of the rest being kde-4.7.97 (aka 4.8-rc2) which
will be in-overlay for just a few more days as 4.8-release is due next
week, because gentoo/kde just removed the long-masked kdeenablefinal USE
flag, which because it was masked (and I didn't unmask it) did NOT affect
my kde as installed so I basically did the rebuild for nothing...

I'm not going to complain much about a mere single package, glibc,
triggering a -N rebuild.

But I'm not going to complain about gentoo/kde doing it with 200-ish,
either (way more if I had all of kde installed, I don't), for several
reasons:

1) I'm not only running ~arch, I'm running the overlay.

2) I'm not only running the overlay, I'm deliberately unmasking and
running upstream prereleases.

But more important than either of those...

3) Mike's right.  The -N is simply available to give users a way to be
notified of such changes if they wish to be, presumably thru use of -p or
-a.  It DOESN'T mean they have to actually do the remerge, as they can
either choose to ignore -N and not use it entirely, thus remaining
blissfully unaware of such changes, or use it simply as notification, go
look at the logs and see what the change was about, and decide based on
that whether it's worth the remerge.

I simply chose to do the 200+ package rebuild because I've learned that
once I use -N to find out and investigate (which I do), after making any
appropriate changes on my end, with a quad-core system, enough RAM to
point PORTAGE_TMPDIR at tmpfs, and PORTAGE_NICENESS set to 19, it's
simply easier to do the rebuild and not worry about it any more than it
is to have to continue to mentally negate those changes every time I do
the -N checks until I DO either rebuild or update.

Plus, I look at it this way. It's winter here in Phoenix and while
Phoenix isn't too cold, it was cold enough last nite that the extra
computer heat from rebuilding a couple hundred packages didn't go to
waste! =:^)  If it were summer and I was having to run the AC to pump
that heat outside, too, my decision may well have been different,
especially since I'll already be updating to the full release when it
comes out in a week or so.  But then again maybe not, too, because I
simply rest better when I know I'm all updated and my computer's all
squared away with gentoo and the various overlays I follow. But either
way, it's my decision, and I appreciate that Gentoo respects that and
leaves the decision to me. =:^)

That said, I also appreciate the care big projects like gentoo/kde
normally take to synchronize such big changes to release, keywording and
stabilization updates, as /either/ doing 200+ unnecessary rebuilds very
often, or conversely, the constant tension of knowing I'm not fully
synced if I continuously ignored -N packages, would get old rather fast.

But for a single package, meh...

I do a little overkill when I do my updates. I run emerge -uvaDN world and let it do its thing. I would rather rebuild a package or two, or possibly even more, and know for sure that my system is more sane than I am. I started doing it this way because I was running into issues with packages being upgraded and another kinda sort of needing it but not to the point that it poked portage in the eye.

That said, if I start having the same issue with emerge -uvaDN world, I'll be doing emerge -ev world then, just to make sure it catches it all. I may not do that as often but at least it gives me the system stability I want.

I do have one wish. I wish some changes were planned a little better. Things like KDE, LOo and a maybe a couple other large packages, get some change then just a few days latter, another change that requires a recompile. I do wish sometimes that both changes could be done at the same time. I'm not complaining mind you. It's just a wish.

I'm with Duncan tho. It's cold right now. I can't get folding to download a unit and I need some HEAT.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"