Hello,

On L, 2012-01-21 at 21:01 +0300, . wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?

You have all the tools available to only install FSF approved licensed
packages through the ACCEPT_LICENSE and related features. I'm sure
maintainers don't mind fixing license tags based on bug reports if some
are incorrect at places.
A Gentoo based distribution called Ututo GNU/Linux may be of interest to
you.

> I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
> the main tree.

Some of us need to get actual work done, and doing so without being
seriously impeded may require non-free software, or for even being able
to use their hardware.
Not all people are so radically viewed - meanwhile we provide the means
to achieve what you need per the above mentioned ACCEPT_LICENSE stuff.

> The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix system.
> You are actually ruining this goal.

We are not paid by the FSF to achieve its goals. We are volunteers
getting our stuff done, developing a distribution to fit our needs and
minding our own business.

> I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
> not the whole system.

Feel free to go discuss that on the gentoo-users mailing list or the
forums. Here we'd like to get work done, and many of us want to be able
to easily use and configure open source and free software, not spend
hours on discussing and fighting about open source beliefs versus more
radical free software philosophies. We provide the means, and e.g Ututo
distribution and thousands of Gentoo users make use of it.

Best Regards,
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Linux developer, GNOME team